Book a Free Consult
Get in touch
A Call for Alternatives
Google Analytics is a widely-loved tool that offers website owners and marketeers valuable insights into visitor flows. However, various regulators in Europe have expressed their concerns and taken action against the use of Google Analytics within the EU. Website owners are now opting for privacy-focused data collection alternatives to GA4 due to the growing importance of people valuing their (online) privacy and the developments from regulators in the EU.
The core of the issue is that personal data is transferred to the United States, where Google stores its data. The regulators state that this data storage set-up does not comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements and should not be used as a result.
Now that Google has launched Google Analytics 4, the question arises if this version is more privacy-friendly and GDPR-proof. While GA4 indeed offers more options regarding privacy and processes IP addresses in a more concise manner, the issue of transferring personal data to the US remains.
If you want to receive valuable insights without collecting personal user-data, then one of these tools might help you with that. At DotControl we can help you get on track with each of them.
- Piwik Pro: this tool has a strong focus on user privacy and data security. Its reporting interface and tracking model are similar to those of Google UA.
- Matomo: is an open-source software and can be installed on your own web server. Privacy-friendly as the collected data can’t be traced back to individuals.
- Plausible Analytics: user-friendly interface which only shows the data you really need. Privacy-friendly as it collects no personal data.
- Fathom: similar to Plausible as it only collects basic data, which makes them privacy-friendly at the same time.
- Independent Analytics (WordPress plugin): a tool that can give you insights just by installing the plugin. Privacy-friendly as it collects no personal data.
We can help you choose the right tool
Are you still unsure whether to switch and which alternative to choose? No worries, we can assist you in making the right decision. Schedule a free 30-minute consultation, and together we'll help you determine the most suitable tool for your platform(s).